FedEx Smartpost? More like Stupidpost!

I'm amongst many who have made the mistake of having an item shipped by FedEx smartpost. I did a little research, and it turns out FedEx bought out a small third-party company called Smartpost a while back and are using this service without letting you know in advance. I mean, I ordered something online and it said it would ship via FedEx, so I bought it thinking I'd have tracking and it would be here in a few days. WRONG!! The company takes its time with putting the order in first off. Telling me that they couldn't get the information sent to FedEx. I placed the order on the 18th of February. It shipped February 22nd. I check up on the tracking...and it says it arrived here in Denver on the 25th, which is normal. So I figure I would wait a day or so for delivery. It is now March 3rd and nothing. It turns out that this Smartpost or rather Stupidpost is where FedEx sends the item to USPS, then USPS delivers it to you. I contact both FedEx and USPS and they have no idea where the packages are. USPS goes on further to tell me that I have more information than they even do. This is what the FedEx Stupidpost says as far as tracking goes. At home expected delivery was supposed to be on the 28th:

02/28/2008

February 25, 2008 3:24 AM Sortation Center Arrival DENVER, CO

February 23, 2008 8:48 AM Sortation Center Departure GROVE CITY, OH

February 22, 2008 12:49 PM Sortation Center Arrival GROVE CITY, OH

February 22, 2008 7:00 AM Pickup LEETSDALE, PA

Conclusion...use another service. I use DHL quite a bit and have had ZERO problems with them. Even UPS has been good to me. Both internationally and domestically. NEVER NEVER use Smartpost by FedEx...unless you're fond of speaking with FedEx customer service and like being a hot potato which every representative wants to get out of their hands...just being passed on from person-to-person.

Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 100 Yes 100 187 No 187
Had the same issue 26 Yes 26
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 05 #1195325 Louisville, Kentucky

2016 and smartpost is still terrible. 4 days to go over 2000 miles (Anaheim, CA to Alexandria, KY) and another 7 days to go 12 miles from Alexandria, KY to Florence, KY. RIDICULOUS
I will NEVER USE ANOTHER VENDOR that chooses to offer Smartpost as their only shipping option.
TERRIBLE

Mar 31 #1137016

In my case, I receive NO home delivery by the USPS due to vandalism. I finally had to remove my mail box to get them to stop. I have P.O. Box at the local post office instead. However, most sellers say they can't ship to a P.O box because FedEx can't deliver to a P.O. box. Then, they ship via SmartPost and my shipments get returned as undeliverable by the USPS. It is TOTALLY ridiculous!!!

Feb 25 #1118091

Fedex Smartpost (ironic name) adds two days to all deliveries. You track it to your city and think it will be at your door the next day. WRONG! It will sit there waiting for all the rest of other people's smartposts and at the end of the day they delivery your package to the USPS instead of to your door...then the USPS has to re-sort your package and deliver the package the next day. Any time I track some package, I always cuss when I learn the store has sent it STUPIDpost. I have actually gotten a package delivered from across the country faster than a smartpost that has already gotten to my city.

Bob

Jan 05 #1089089

I place an order through eBay which is supposed to be delivered through FedEx Smartpost. And be delivered between the 5th of January and the 12th of January and Smart post has not even as so much picked up the package and started the inroute delivery yet. This package must travel all the way across country to Kent Washington then 300 miles back to where I live. This package has not even begin its trip and will not make it until at least late. I will not order from anyone using FedEx from eBay or Amazon anymore.

Dec 24, 2015 #1083491

I agree! Smartpost is terrible!!! Ordered something through Amazon on 12/9/15. I thought it was being delivered by FedEx. Was told it would arrive by 12/19/15. That date came and went. Then I was told it would be here by 12/24/15, which would have been fine. But now even that won't happen. I "may" get it on 12/26/15. Obviously at this time of year this delay is a BIG DEAL! I am very upset with Amazon, Fedex and Smartpost!

Aug 23, 2015 #1023588

We live in northern Sonoma County, Ca. in a development called The Sea Ranch. The ZIP code for our development is 95497, and deliveries by FedEx and UPS come to our door. The USPS does not deliver to residential addresses in our development. We have a PO box at the nearest US Post Office, but it is in Gualala, Mendocino County, CA 95445. When there is a "hand-off" to the USPS, the package inevitably goes to a contract station, covering 95497, where there are PO boxes, but not ours. We used to get a phone call from the contract station to pick up any packages, but their policy has changed, and they will not call or take calls from non box holders. We chose Gualala, to the North, for our PO Box, since it has an actual Post Office, and it also has two supermarkets, gasoline, etc.
Now if we expect a package, we have to physically visit the contract station twice per week to prevent having the item returned as undeliverable. This is 10 miles round-trip away from home, to the South, just to check on a package. Amazon refunds purchase and shipping costs for undeliverable items, but many shippers do not. Items which are not time-sensitive can be re-ordered, but who needs this hassle?

anonymous

Aug 13, 2015 #1018868 Brighton, Michigan

happened to me just recently. item was received in pieces and in all my 9-1/2 years plus on ebay using USPS, I've never had this problem and I package well. I will never use them again.

1 1 Reply

Jun 25, 2015 #999325

I've had the same experience, never heard about Smartpost until having it. I avoid USPS because of past bad experiences, and use Fedex whenever possible. USPS throws packages, post office people are rude, etc. Was told by a store in Cal. that a package would be coming to me via Fedex. I got tracking for Fedex. When the package finally got to my state, tracking updated to say that it was coming by Smartpost and would be given to the USPS for actual delivery. No mention was made about Smartpost UNTIL it got to my state. This is deceptive, false advertising, because I was made to believe that this was a Fedex DELIVERY. Fedex needs to be up front about Smartpost in its information.

Mar 09 #1124268

If you think FedEx or UPS or any other shipping service do not handle packages roughly (throwing), you are sadly mistaken! In fact, as a manager of a large shipping/receiving facility, FedEx packages are the most frequently damaged!

0 1 Reply

Jun 10, 2015 #993226 Cambridge, Massachusetts

I just had my first experience of Fedex Smartpost delivery through eBay being damaged and there is no available information about filing a claim for the damaged contents. It is NOT fair that claim information is hidden and not readily available, even with the bad service. THIS CALLS FOR A CLASS ACTION AGAINST EBAY AND FEDEX FOR MAL PRACTICE and DECEPTION OF ITS CUSTOMERS!!!

Jun 01, 2015 #990439

I agree... additionally, FedEx won't let you re-rout and hold the package at a FedEx location. I wish retailers would abandon FedEx "smartpost"

Oct 29, 2015 #1055414 Brooklyn, New York

Retails that offer free shipping over a certain dollar purchase price most likely this mail innovations, including FedEx smartpost and the UPS equivalent, which I cant recall at the moment. I believe even DHL participates in this mail sharing. Shipping costs are lower for the shipper, but not by much, maybe 10-20%. That translates to free shipping for the buyer but about a 10 day wait. I purchase motor oil from Walmart. Shipping from PA to NY via FedEx smartpost, tracking indicates a 6 day wait, including weekends. I consider that reasonable. If it was a transcontinetal shipment, I would expect to wait a minimum of a week. Worst experience I've had with them included almost 3 weeks from date of shipment to date of delivery. That is impressively horrible, considering that USPS, UPS, FedEx, and especially DHL make transcontinental (NY-LA, FL-WA), in 2-5 business days.
In a sort of aside, USPS is focusing less on letters and more on packages and parcels. They have Sunday package delivery in many metro areas, including here in NY. I consider that a step up.
Just be wary of free shipping. Amazon is better about it and they don't drop a lot of this *** shipping on me. I've never had a ebay shipper use this. Its usually USPS first class. However, many online retailers with brick and mortar storefronts, like walmart, bestbuy and most other stores that offer free online shipping will drop this on you. Just be careful

pissed off customer

Feb 05, 2015 #941604 Rio Rancho, New Mexico

This service is worse than snail mail its the slowest shipment that i haven't received

Oct 29, 2015 #1055417

snail mail, USPS First-Class mail, is impressively fast, in my experience, compared to other carriers. However, few people send regular letters, unless they are time sensitive legal documents, via UPS or FEDEX. In any case, send a letter from LA to NY and it takes 3-4 days. Ship a package from PA to NY via FedEx Smartpost and it takes 6 days.

Doug

Jan 21, 2015 #934108 Denver, Colorado

Took 25 hours for them to deliver to the Longmont post office. Wonder if the walked it there? It also sat around for a day and a half. I will make sure if it is in my power to never use this part of FedEx again.
January 21, 2015 , 7:30 am
Arrived at Post Office
LONGMONT, CO 80501
Date/Time
Activity 1/20/2015 - Tuesday 6:12 am In transit LONGMONT, CO In transit to U.S. Postal Service 5:30 am Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service 3:18 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST DENVER, CO 1/18/2015 - Sunday 8:36 pm Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST DENVER, CO 1/16/2015 - Friday 3:01 pm In transit LA VERKIN, UT 12:52 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST LOS ANGELES, CA 1/15/2015 - Thursday 9:52 pm Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST LOS ANGELES, CA 2:59 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

I rate

Jan 19, 2015 #933111 Vero Beach, Florida

Hey FedEx, if we wanted our packages lost, we could have sent them USPS ourselves. We didn't need to pay you to give them to the Post Office.

4 0 Reply
bam810

Nov 18, 2015 #1066080 Elizabethton, Tennessee

yeah! why hand dleivery to the post office when thy could have hand dleivered to me? I don't get it my package was here at 5:28am and now its 8:30 pm and my package never came! when i track it it shows in my city . this is so crazy beucase my post office if they get it then i'll have wait for them to dleivery it after they take it out of town to be scanned and then returned back to my town! thats how the local post office does, just becuase its here doesn't mean it stays here before u get it!

I rate

Jan 19, 2015 #933102 Vero Beach, Florida

I ordered a package from Cleveland Golf on Dec. 28th. They said it was going to be shipped Fedex, I said great. Here it is Jan. 19 and still no package. Tracking stopped on Jan. 14 after being handed over to Smartpost on Jan. 4, 2015. They tracked it for 10 days now nobody seems to know where it is. That is the last time FedEx is going to ship a package for me. If a retailer is using Fedex SmartPost, I'll buy it someplace else.

3 0 Reply
rural dweller

Oct 30, 2014 #893079

How about companies that will not ship to you at all if a P.O. box number is in the address, and then they turn around and use smart post? They don't tell you they are going to use smart post, so when you give them a street address, what is the post office going to do with the package? Send it back to the shipper! Now that's service?!!!

esmith_longbeach

Jul 14, 2014 #840611 Long Beach, California

one of the worse service is the fedex smart post. first they come to my office on Saturday which we are always closed. then the tracking number said that its a local usps office to pick up. Spend 30 min at the post office and was told they need the converted number. Called Fedex 4 times and was told that there system is down. Finally when system was up i was told that they do not have the converted number and need to get it from the shipper. US post can't help me, FEDEX cant help me stuck with the packing somewhere in *** land.

1-20 of 262 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Fedex. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Fedex.
Filing a new complaint about
×