Yesterday (Friday), I called FedEx to schedule a pickup of a GROUND shipment -- a return of a printer to Hewlett Packard.

I was told that because it was a GROUND shipment, it could not be picked up on the same day. They said they could pick it up today (Saturday).

They scheduled a pickup, and the FedEx employee arrived around 11:30 (on schedule), but rejected the pickup because she was from their EXPRESS department, not their GROUND department.

This is simply incompetence on the part of FedEx. It is really that simple -- incompetence.

I called FedEx and asked to speak to a supervisor. I did not get a supervisor. I got a "Customer Advocate."

The Customer Advocate was very polite.

First, he explained that the earliest pickup would be Monday. I explained that I won't be at home next week -- I travel for work. That is why I arranged for a Saturday pickup.

Second, he offered me to opportunity to drop off a 50 pound box at their location. I am 68 years old, and carrying a 50 pound box to their location is not something I can do alone.

I was politely insistent that this needed to be escalated, so he called the local dispatcher who said that I would have to wait until Monday.

After speaking with the dispatcher, the Customer Advocate said that a pickup today was not possible.

First, he offered me a Monday pickup. I asking him if he was listening when I told him that I was away next week. He said that he was. So I asked him why he was offering something that clearly would not work. He provided no answer.

Second, offered me the opportunity to bring the 50 pound parcel to one of their locations. I asking him if he was listening when I told him that I could not do so alone. He said that he was. So I asked him why he was offering something that clearly would not work. He provided no answer.

FedEx made a service level commitment to me yesterday. Today they broke it. As of noon, they were unwilling to do what it takes to pick up the package today. They re-offered me alternatives which they knew and understood would not work for me.

So now I will have to find someone whom I can pay to bring the box to a FedEx location, because this needs to be returned to Hewlett Packard in a timely manner. Delaying a week is not timely.

FedEx used to have a tag line that started "absolutely, positively." Well, this is the second problem I have had with them in the past month. I now understand that the tag line should read that "FedEx will absolutely, positively NOT make things right if they screw things up."

So I absolutely, positively will avoid using FedEx in the future, since I absolutely, positively prefer working with a shipper that honors its service level commitments instead of screwing its customer.

Product or Service Mentioned: Fedex Pick Up Service.

• Failed To Make A Promised Pickup