2.5

Fedex attempted to deliver a package requiring signature at 10:30 AM at a residential address. Of course, nobody was home and the package was not delivered. No note was left at the front door. At 9:00 PM I check the tracking number at the web site and find out about the missed delivery. The web site says they will attempt to deliver again the next day before 8:00 PM. So I am supposed to stay home the whole day waiting for them. So I called the 800 number (of course, the local office's phone number is unlisted). They offered that the package be held at the office and asked for my phone number, saying I will get a text message to tell me when the phone is ready to pick up. That sounds good to me.

This morning at 7:00 AM, I get not one but two text messages from FedEx. The first one says "Pkg ready for pick up at FedEx ", the second saying "Package scheduled for delivery 11/21 by 8:00 P". Obviously something is messed up, so not knowing what to do and without the number for the local office, I get in the car and start driving to the office listed. 30 minutes and 15 miles later (about 1/2 mile from the office), I get a phone call on my cell telling me the office opens at 9:00 AM. I ask if they can open for me since I am almost there. Nope, the office opens at 9:00, end of story. Very stern response from the employee. No apology, my option is to show up at 9:00 or not get my package.

I call the 800 number and ask to talk to a manager. After a lengthy wait, I get the same response, sprinkled with a few "I apologize" but not acknowledgment of any mistake on FedEx part. Apparently it's OK that I got a message telling me the phone was ready to pick up when in fact it was not because the message was "automatically generated". It was also OK that I got a second message one minute after the first because "it was automatically generated" and apparently messages that are "automatically generated" can be wrong. I am supposed to know that. I ask for the phone number of the local office for possible use in the future. I am told the number is unlisted (I knew that) and that they will not give it to me.

I was on the phone for about 30 minutes but aside from a number of insincere "I apologize", I never heard an acknowledgment that in fact the messages I got were wrong. Even the manager could not admit that they made a mistake. Even the two conflicting messages were normal course of business. Somehow I should have known the office opens at 9 and therefore the message saying the phone was ready for pickup was, in fact, wrong. It was all my fault.

I understand it was my fault to choose FedEx and I am sure not to make that mistake again. I have never EVER had such a problem with UPS.

I liked: Promises.

I didn't like: Customer service.

Had an Experience with FedEx?

Comments