The following recounts an epic failure of FedEx and customer service for one package that was to have been delivered on January 22, 2016. Nearly two weeks later, it STILL is not delivered, nor will it be until next week!!!

A package was sent from Bellingham, Washington (the state), intended to go to my home in Washington, DC (our nation’s capitol). Arrival date was to be January 22, the day the significant snow storm started late that afternoon.

While there was indeed snow in the area, the initial FedEx tracking site stated that the package would be delivered by Friday (OK, with snow in the area, I can see a bit of a delay). But, apparently on Monday, according to the station manager, the driver stated that the “delivery was refused”, despite the fact that the package DID NOT LEAVE THE FACILITY, nor was I (the intended recipient) ever contacted! I guess because (s)he was not interested in going out in inclement weather, they simply decided to send the package back to the sender!

When I noticed on the tracking website several days later that the package was no longer even in the DC area, I called and spoke to agents, and then to tracing, who initially thought the package might still in the local Washington DC facility. The supervisor did not go further on the evaluation then, though a subsequent agent indicated the information would have been available had she looked. The agent I spoke with in tracking said she would call me back Monday morning with information on the whereabouts of the package.

Monday morning came and went without a phone call, so Monday afternoon I again called FedEx. After the usual delays of actually connecting to the tracing department, the next tracing supervisor confirmed that the package was on its way back to the sender, and at that point was over halfway across the country, but she could NOT interdict the package then, as the ground shipping offices for the outsourced carrier are CLOSED Sunday and Monday! She stated that on Tuesday, they would re-route the package back to DC, and would expedite (overnight) the package, so delivery would occur Wednesday. On Wednesday (yesterday), an automated notice was sent that the package had been left at the front door without signature. In fact, it had not, as I call the apartment concierge and no packages at all had been left or received for me.

So today (Thursday) I again call to speak with tracing agents. After the call being cut off (twice) and again spending significant time trying to reach the supervisor, I now am told that the package was interdicted and was being sent back from Oregon (almost back to the sender), but, for some unknown reason, instead of overnight delivery as promised, it was sent on a truck that was NOW STUCK IN OHIO BECAUSE OF SNOW!!! The earliest it is now thought it will make it to Washington DC is this coming Saturday (February 6th, two weeks after it was supposed to have arrived). I’m told that there is no way to get the package delivered any sooner now, because of the failure to have sent it expedited from the Oregon facility…

The almost comical series of customer service failures and gaffes borders on insanity. I cannot fathom how many opportunities to have provided good customer service came and went with apparent casual indifference.

Clearly, at this point, there is not much left FedEx can do other than actually deliver the package. We shall see if/when that ever really happens…

I cannot see how I can trust FedEx to do the right thing given the cascade of failures to date, I am asking the sender to also request a FULL REFUND of all charges paid for this colossal screw-up.

I await some kind of response from FedEx that would even partially explain how such incompetence and indifference is allowed to persist in the “Customer Service” (or lack thereof) Department.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of fedex delivery service. FedEx needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned fedex delivery service in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at FedEx.

Had an Experience with FedEx?

Comments