Recently I shipped an item in my own packaging.Before shipping I went online and checked UPS, Fedex and USPS and the rate with Fedex was the best.

I took my package to a local Kinkos to ship and the shipping was nearly $5.00 more than it calculated online. I was able to see the scale readout and Fedex and the weight was the same as my calibrated scale at home. After paying I took my receipt home and again went to the FedEx site and calculated. My original calculations were the same.

A few days later I had the same experience with the counter shipping rate being almost 30 percent more than my online calculations. I stopped the Kinkos person and asked what was going on. She then told me the weight and dimensions of my package. The dimensions she was using were a lot more than my package.

I measured it right in front of her. I was then told that they are instructed by FedEx to increase the package dimensions by a few inches to make sure they don't loose money. That is complete fraud people. You advertise a shipping rate based on the correct dimensions and weight and then you cheat your customers by entering bogus information in the Fedex application at the store counter without even being up front about what you are doing.

Talk about unfair traded practices and misappropriation? Sheesh! I have since gone to four different Kinkos in my metro area and have been told the same thing; Fedex tells then to jack up the shipping bill by cheating on dimensions. Some even add on services not requested by the customer like weekend delivery and signature.

Double check everything people.This is a rip off.

Had an Experience with FedEx?

Comments

#552083

thats *** up i workhere and were just supposed to round it up to the nearest inch. Call 1800GOFEDEX and file a complaint that is very unfair

Oh it is absolutely true. I have the same situation well documented on multiple occasions. Interesting the Fedex cheerleaders come out on this issue.

It is very true and I have the situation well documented. But thank you Fedex cheerleaders for the spin

this isn't true at all - they're supposed to measure the dimensions accurately... the only additional charge that you may incur when going into a fedex office is if your item needs additional packaging, and also the commission fedex office gets on each package, which is a minimal amount of under $3 (and most likely is included in the online quoting)

I'll gladly take any consumer affairs related attorney who wishes to witness for himself. I can back up my mouth!

This comment is bogus. I have had no such experience using Federal Express my whole life for over 30 years.